Sunday, December 19, 2010

expressive drawing with charcoal

My next assignment for my drawing class was to draw a branch using charcoal.  I have never actually used charcoal before this but I found that using it expressively was an interesting experiment.  Since this was my first time using charcoal and my first time doing an expressive drawing I felt no stress over doing it the "right" way or of how it came out.  I really enjoyed the amount of freedom that comes with a stress less approach to drawing.  I did find charcoal to be extremely messy and difficult to use to draw fine lines accurately (I'm sure that is do to inexperience, I have seen some amazing charcoal work).  The fact that I found it difficult to draw accurately with it is what led to me doing much better in making an expressive drawing.  While I found this to be a fun experiment I was glad that we were using pencil to do the majority of the work in class.





No comments:

Post a Comment